Summary: This page tells you how to use 3 three different tools to rip Blu-ray/DVD and copy to storage devices to get rid of messing around with physical discs.
Rip Blu-ray/DVD movies and copy them to storage devices, like External Hard Drive, QNAP NAS, WD My Cloud Storage, USB Flash Drive etc, to watch on Macbook, Surface Pro, Galaxy S7, so you can enjoy them without ever having to get up off your couch to drop a disc in the DVD/Blu-ray player. Also, it allows you to protect your discs from scratching and get rid of messing around with physical discs. So, I will show you three different tools to rip Blu-ray/DVD into a digital video, so that you can store them onto your storage device for watching anywhere and anytime.
1. Rip Blu-ray/DVD with Handbrake:
* The app is fast, can make the most of multi-core processors to speed up the process.
* It is completely open source and completely free.
* It’s simple, easy to use, easy to install, and offers a wealth of tweaking options to get the best possible file as a result.
* It is designed with preset profiles for Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, Android and WP8.
* It provides numerous video and audio parameter settings for users to alter file size and video quality.
* It supports to output MP4, MKV, H.264, MPEG and MP3 formats
* It only converts Blu-ray without copy protection.
* It can not rip DVD with encrypted-protection methods including CSS.
* The output files formats are very limited, which can’t meet all people’s needs.
* It is complicated to set an output device preset and it is hard to understand some options.
* Batch video conversion, only available on HandBrake 0.9.5 or later, has a complicated process
Learn more : HandBrake Alternative
2. Rip Blu-ray/DVD with MakeMKV
* Reads Blu-ray discs protected with latest versions of AACS and BD+
* Preserves all video and audio tracks, including HD audio
* Preserves all meta-information (track language, audio type)
*Fast conversion - converts as fast as your drive can read data.
* No additional software is required for conversion or decryption.
* Functionality to open DVD discs is free and will always stay free.
* Program is time-limited -- it will stop functioning after 60 days. You can always download the latest version from makemkv.com that will reset the expiration date.
* HD-DVD support is limited - some discs may fail to open and not all audio and subtitle tracks will be preserved.
* It can only output files in MKV format, which is not compatible for most media player and can not meet all users’ needs.
Learn more : MakeMKV Alternative | MakeMKV vs DVDFab vs ByteCopy
3. Rip Blu-ray/DVD with Pavtube BDMagic
* Decrypt Blu-ray/DVD disc with latest copy protections, region code, Disny code, CSS, RCE, Sony ArccOS, UOPs etc
* More than DVD and Blu-ray disc supported, DVD/Blu-ray folder, DVD ISO/IFO, Blu-ray ISO etc can be easily loaded; more than 200 profiles are listed under the Format menu, including H.264 MP4, MKV, M4V, MOV, AVI, etc.
* Convert DVD/Blu-ray disc to H.265/HEVC codec to store with high quality in small file size.
* Frequently update of Format list with adding new devices to assure you to locate the optimized presets for the destination portable devices, media players, game consoles, or video editing software.
* To get better movie playback on your devices, free to trim a short clip out of original movie, crop black bars from images, insert external SRT/ASS/SSA subtitles, add video effects and more.
* You are allowed to optionally set video and audio parameters to achieve the best video and audio enjoyment during playback.
* Support NVIDIA CUDA and ATI Stream (AMD APP) acceleration technologies.
It does not support convert other formats to ISO files.
Learn more: Review: HandBrake VS BDMagic
1. If your Blu-ray can be played in your Blu-ray player and your DVD is not under encrypted-protection, then HandBrake is a good choice for you to rip Blu-ray and DVD.
2. If you have no need to rip HD-DVD and just want to rip Blu-ray and DVD to MKV format, then you can choose MakeMKV and Pavtube BDMagic to help you rip Blu-ray and DVD.
3. If you want a powerful Blu-ray/DVD ripping tool, which can remove all Blu-ray and DVD copy protection and rip all kinds of Blu-ray and DVD to all mainstream devices supported video formats, then Pavtube BDMagic is a wise choice for you.
- Top 8 FREE Video Converters for Windows (Windows 8.1 Included)
- How to Play Videos on Windows 10 with Top 3 Free Video Players
- Copy all DVDs into Synology DS415+ NAS drive for Streaming
- [Issue Fixed] - PC Can’t Play DVD
- Rip DVD to Amazon S3 for Watching on Android phone